You may find it helpful to get advice from other people in your country who have had some experience of living in the UK. They may be able to give you good advice about a number of things eg the types of clothes you will need, personal items to bring.

Remember that you will be carrying the luggage yourself at times so do not pack too much. You also have a luggage allowance and it can be expensive to exceed this.

You are advised to carry the following in your hand luggage:

  • Valid Passport, with visa/UK entry clearance.
  • Original documents to prove financial support for tuition fees and maintenance.
  • Original offer letter from the University stating home address.
  • Originals of any other important documents.
  • Travel insurance details.
  • Health certificate/check-up.
  • Details of your destination - address/telephone number.
  • Proof of purchase for any IT equipment.
  • British Currency (see British money section on left).
  • Spare passport-size photographs.
  • Warm clothing - a pullover or a jacket.
  • Laptop (if applicable).

You are advised to carry the following in your suitcase(s):

  • Photocopies of important documents (you should also leave a copy with your friends or family).
  • All of your clothes and personal items.
  • Sharp objects (eg scissors, razor blades) in suitcase, not hand luggage.

You should not bring:

  • Very valuable items, eg jewellery that is expensive / is of sentimental value.
  • Plants/seeds, dairy or meat products.

British money

Please make sure that you are financially secure and that your arrangements will cover all your tuition fees and living expenses while you are here. Your first days and weeks in the UK will be much more relaxed if you are financially secure.

We would recommend that you bring some British money with you when you travel. It can take 2 weeks to open a bank account so please ensure that you enough to cover your expenses for this period. You may to consider:

  • Getting from the airport to the University.
  • Food and drink.
  • Accommodation – have you paid for University accommodation? If you are living in private accommodation then you may need to pay up to 2 months rent and a deposit.
  • Books and materials for study.
  • Are you bringing any family members with you?

We would recommend that you arrange:

  • Some British cash for the first few days.
  • Travellers cheques, to save carrying too much cash.
  • Travel Insurance for the journey and your first weeks in the UK.

The unit of currency in the UK is Pound Sterling (£). It is divided into a hundred pence (p).

Coins: 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1, £2

Notes: £5, £10, £20, £50.

Important, Euros / US Dollars are not widely accepted in shops but are easily exchangeable in travel agents, airports or banks.