Browser does not support script.

Frequently Asked Questions

I am thinking of applying to the University of Bolton


Language requirements


Applying for a course


I have applied to the University of Bolton


Living in the UK


I am thinking of applying to the University of Bolton

Can I get a prospectus

Yes you can order a prospectus online.

How can I find out which courses you offer at the University of Bolton and the entry requirements?

We have a wide range of courses available from pre-university and undergraduate degrees to postgraduate qualifications. All course pages outline specific entry requirements and offer advice on how these can be achieved.

How can I find out country specific entry requirements?

We offer advice on country specific requirements online. If your country is not listed please get in touch with the International Team at

Language requirements

Do I still need to provide language certificates if I have studied in an English speaking University?

Yes, unless you have studied a bachelors Degree or a masters degree in a country that is considered medium of English speaking by the Home Office, you will need to provide other evidence of your English language proficiency. For most applicants it is likely that we would ask you to take a Secure English Language Test (SELT). Currently the only SELT, deemed acceptable by the Home Office is the UKVI IELTS.

Do you offer English Language programmes at the University of Bolton?

Yes, we have several English language programmes. please find the full list online alongwith requirements, cost and application procedure.

How can I take an IELTS for English Language requirement?

Yes, an IELTS will be sufficient in satisfying the requirement if English is your second language. Please contact you nearest IELTS test centre for an application form and find out about available test dates and fees.

I won't meet the IELTS requirement for my course of choice by the enrolment date - what can I do?

If you are unable to meet the IELTs requirement before the enrolment date then please contact the Admissions Team as soon as possible at or (+44) 01204 903394.

Can I study towards my IELTS requirement alongside another course?

No. You cannot enroll on a course at the University of Bolton without first satisfying, adnd providing evidence of all the entry criteria.

Applying for a course

Do you offer any courses overseas courses?

Yes we have many International partners that carry University of Bolton programmes. Please find the full list of these online.

Do you have a representative or agent in my country to help me apply?

We have a number of in country agents who can help you throughout every stage of your application. Please find the full list online.

How do I apply?

How you apply depends on what subject you would like to study, and a what level - each course page will give detailed information about the application procedure as well as links to any external website you will need to make your application.

How long does it take for my offer to come through?

This can differ greatly from application to application, depending on what you are applying to study and how much detail is given in your application. If we are waiting for further information, or a section of the application wasn't filled in fully this can greatly impact the time between us receiving your application and you getting a decision.

I don't have all my documents - what can I do?

If you don't have all of your documents that are going to support your application, please apply for duplicates as soon as your can. This can take a number of weeks and your application will not be able to be fully processed until we receive them.

I am still studying a qualification and won't get my certificate for some time, should I still apply?

Yes. The sooner you apply the quicker the process will be when you do receive your certificates. In the meantime we may be able to offer you a conditional place awaiting your certificates.

I am still not sure about the application process for my chosen course, can I speak with someone?

If you are still unsure about how to make an application please contact the International Team at or call (+44) 01204 903110.

I would like to apply for more than one course, how do I do this?

This will depend upon what kind of course you are applying for. If you are applying through UCAS you will have the option of applying for 5 different courses. If you are making a postgraduate application then you will need to submit seperate applications for each course you would like to be considered for.

I have applied to the University of Bolton

How do submit further documents/certificates?

We will send emails asking for any documents that are required to process your application further - these emails will detail which mail boxes ro send them to. Sending the documents to the wrong folders or copying extra departments and people into emails can considerably slow down the application process. If you have not recieved an email with this information please contact Admissions at or call 01204 903394.

How do I update my contact details?

If you have applied through UCAS then please update your details on UCAS, this will ensure that each University you have applied to receives updated information. If you have applied directly to the University of bolton, please email with your updated information.

Can I change the course that I would like to be considered for?

Yes, we need to receive this in writing (email is accepted). Depending on the stage of your application and the course change you may need to provide additional documents or attend an interview. This will all be explained when we reply.

When will I recieve my Confirmation of Acceptance to Study (CAS)?

The University of Bolton starts to issue CAS in June (for courses starting in September). This will only be done when you have satisfied all the academic conditions of your offer, have paid the tuition fee deposit and returned your acceptance of offer form. There are other requirements, which will be outlined in emails.

How long will my UKVI visa application take to process?

This can depend upon where you are applying from and other circumstances. Please see the UKVI website for more details.

I won't arrive in the UK in time for enrolment, what shall I do?

Please notify the University as soon as possible. The quickest way to do this is via email at

Living in the UK

Can I work while I study ay the University of Bolton?

There may be restrictions to working in the Uk as an international student. Please check the restrictions on your visa, or on the UKVI website.

What living costs do I need to prepare whilst studying at the University of bolton?

You will need to prepare for costs such as accommodation, food, travel and social activities.

How do I open a bank account when I arrive?

If the course you are enrolling on is for a period of one academic year or longer you should be able to open a bank account in the UK. There are a number of high street banks in the UK which offer current accounts to international students. Once you have chosen a bank you will need a letter of introduction which can be issued by the Student Advisors. You can request this in the Student Centre or by email

Am I eligible for free medical treatment with the NHS?

Tier 4 students who made their visa application before April 2015 and are studying a course which is 6 months or longer are entitled to receive free medical treatment from the NHS. If you need to extend your permission to remain in the UK you will be required to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS). This will be £150 for each year that you will remain in the UK. Students who made their visa applications after April 2015 will have paid the Immigration Health Surcharge as part of their visa application and will receive free medical treatment from the NHS for the duration of their visa.

Free medical treatment includes registering with a GP (Doctor) surgery, appointments to see the Doctor, and any treatment required either by the Doctor or in Hospital. There is a charge for medicines that you may need to take. If you are prescribed a medicine by your Doctor the cost will be £8.20 per item (Correct at February 2016 the cost of prescription medicines is reviewed annually in April and is subject to increase). There is also a charge for treatment at the Dentist, optical treatment and some GP services such as vaccinations for travel and sickness certificates.

How can I register with a local doctor/GP?

You must visit your local doctor’s surgery in consulting hours and ask to be registered as a new National Health Service patient. The Student Centre maintains a list of GP surgeries close to the University campus and can also provide you with details of how to find NHS services local to you if you do not live close to the University. your passport and any BRP with you.

What do I do in the event of a medical emergency?

You can dial 999 in the case of a medical emergency. Many hospitals have an Accident and Emergency department, the closest one if residing in Bolton will be the Royal Bolton Hospital. This is only to be used in emergency situations, for more minor injuries (minor burns etc) you can visit walk in centres etc. If you are unsure which service you need, you can call 111 and they will advise you where to seek medical attention.