International students, whose entry stamp does not prohibit them from working, have permission to work in the UK. This allows you to:

  • Work part time up to 20 hours a week maximum during term time and allows you to work full time during official University holidays.
  • Work full time at the end of your studies after you has submitted your dissertation and completed all your studies but your immigration permission to be in the UK has not yet expired. This is for a maximum of 4 months (but you must not let your visa expire).
  • Work full time when your studies have finished and you are waiting a decision regarding a Post Study Work visa.
  • Take a work placement with an employer (sandwich students only).

Whilst in the UK with a student visa, you must be able to show that you can afford to study and live in the UK without needing to work.

You should not work if your visa or entry clearance sticker states 'no work or recourse to public funds' or 'no recourse to public funds, work prohibited'.

As an international student from outside the EEA, you may not;

  • Work more than 20 hours a week term‐time
  • Engage in business, self employment or provide services as a professional sports person or entertainer
  • Pursue a career by filling a permanent full‐time vacancy

How much can you expect to earn?

The National Minimum Wage is the minimum amount of money that you can expect to be paid per hour from your employer.

The current rates (from 1 October 2011) are:

  • £6.08 - the main rate for workers aged 21 and over 
  • £4.98 - the 18-20 rate
  • £3.68 - the 16-17 rate for workers above school leaving age but under 18

All employers must pay the right rate of pay to eligible workers, if you think you are not receiving the right amount you can call the National Minimum Wage Helpline on 0800 6000 678