School of Engineering
“At the University of Bolton, we take great pride in providing a quality, supportive learning environment for our students.”
Professor George E Holmes DL | President & Vice Chancellor
“...tutors are very supportive and you’re not just a student ID number, at this university you are an individual with a name.”
Ellisse Vernon | BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing
Back to menu
Back to menu
Back to menu
Dr Felicia L C Ong received her BEng (Hons) degree in Electronics, Telecommunications and Computer engineering and a PhD degree from the University of Bradford, Bradford, U.K., in 2002 and 2016, respectively. Currently, she is a Lecturer in Electrical & Electronic Engineering at the School of Engineering, University of Bolton, Bolton, U.K.
She previously worked as an Enhanced Learning Officer at the University of Bradford and was the Electronics and Telecommunications Programmes Course Tutor from 2010 to 2013. She had also previously worked as a Distance and e-Learning Development Officer from 2007 to 2010 and as a Research Assistant from 2002 to 2007 at the University of Bradford. She had previously worked in the broadcasting and telecommunication industry in Singapore from 1998 to 2000. She has been involved in the EC funded IST project Fast Internet for Fast Train Hosts (FIFTH), Satellite Communications Network of Excellence (SatNEx I and II) projects and the EPSRC funded Continuing Education in Electronics Systems Integration Training (CEESI) Project. She is a Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (MIET) and also a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA).
My principal research interests includes Embedded Systems Design and Programming, e-Learning and Distance Learning (design, development and delivery), Mobility Management in Heterogeneous Networks and Future Mobile Communication Systems, IP mobility, Neural Networks, AI systems, Machine Learning, Robotic Systems, Health Care Technologies, Education Research, Internet-of-things, Satellite Systems, Mobile Application Technologies and Wireless Communications
My teaching responsibilities include Introductory Digital Electronics (HE4), Introductory Embedded Systems (HE4), Intermediate Embedded Systems (HE5), Major Project (HE6), Electronic Engineering for Mechatronics (HE6), Medical Equipment Technology (HE6) and Microprocessor-based Systems (HE7)
These modules cover the undergraduate and taught postgraduate programmes across Electrical, Electronic, Mechanical, Mechatronics, Medical and Biomedical Engineering.
• C.H. See, J. Kosha, W.A. Mshwat, R.A. Abd-Alhameed, F. L.C. Ong, N.J. McEwan, P.S. Excell, “Design of mobile band subsurface antenna for drainage infrastructure monitoring”, IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, July 2019.
• F.L.C. Ong, X. Liang, P.M.L. Chan, G. Koltsidas, F.N. Pavlidou, N. Celandroni, E. Ferro, A. Gotta, H. Cruickshank, S. Iyengar, G. Fairhurst, V. Mancuso , “ Fusion of Digital Television, Broadband Internet and Mobile Communications - Part I: Enabling Technologies”, International Journal of Satellite Communications and Networking (IJSCN), 25(4), June 2007; 363-407.
• X. Liang, F.L.C. Ong, P. Pillai, P.M.L. Chan, V. Mancuso, G. Koltsidas, F.N. Pavlidou, L. Cavifkione, N. Celandroni, E. Ferro, A. Gotta, H. Cruickshank, S. Iyengar, G. Fairhurst, “Fusion of Digital Television, Broadband Internet and Mobile Communications, Part II: Future Service Scenarios”, International Journal of Satellite Communications and Networking (IJSCN), 25(4), June 2007; 409-440.
• O.M Zubair, R.E. Sheriff and F.L.C. Ong, “Bandwidth Management using MPLS Model for Future Mobile Wireless Networks”, Proceedings of 9th International Conference on Wireless and Satellite Systems (WiSATS 2017), Oxford, UK, 14-15 September 2017.
• O.M Zubair, R.E. Sheriff and F.L.C. Ong, “Resource Reservation Protocol Tunnelling Extension in MPLS for sustainable Mobile Wireless Networks”, Proceedings of 1st annual Innovative Postgraduate Research Conference (AIERC), Bradford, UK, 15 May 2017.
• F.L.C.Ong and R.E.Sheriff, ”Exploration of a multi-technology system for future high-speed rail communications”, Proceedings of RISUD(Research Institute for Sustainable Urban Development) Annual International Symposium 2016-Smart Cities (RAIS 2016), Hong Kong, China, 23-24 August 2016.
• R.E. Sheriff and F.L.C. Ong, “Evaluating the Case for Employing E-Portfolio Tools as Part of the Final Year Engineering Project Experience”, The Higher Education Academy STEM Annual Conference 2012, Imperial College, London, 12 -13 April 2012.
• F.L.C. Ong and R.E. Sheriff, “Distance Learning of Engineering based subjects: A case study”, Proceedings of 23rd ICDE 23rd World Conference and 2009 EADTU Annual Conference (M-2009), Maastricht, The Netherlands, 7 – 10 June 2009.
• F.L.C. Ong and P.M.L. Chan, “Fourth Generation (4G) Mobile Systems: The Development towards Heterogeneous Networking”, Proceedings of the International Conference on Advanced Technologies in Telecommunications and Control Engineering (ATTCE 2006), INTI College, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 28-29 August 2006.
• X. Liang, F.L.C. Ong, P.M.L. Chan, R.E. Sheriff, “Security Procedures for Broadband Communications via Satellite and W-LAN Networks to Trains”, Proceedings of First International Symposium on Broadband Communications (ISBC’04), Harrogate, Leeds, 12-15 Dec 2004.
• X. Liang, F.L.C. Ong, P.M.L. Chan, R.E. Sheriff, P. Conforto, “Mobile Internet access for high-speed trains via heterogeneous networks”, Proceedings of 14th IEEE 2003 International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC 2003), Beijing, China, 7-10 September 2003; 177-181.
• F.L.C.Ong, “Employment of Emerging Technologies as Assistive Digital Healthcare for the Older Population”, Proceedings of Employing ICT in Homes and Cities for the Health and Well-Being of Older People (ICT4HOP’16) Workshop, Chengdu, China, 15-17 August 2016.
• F.L.C. Ong and R.E. Sheriff, “Employing Self-Evaluation Activity to Enhance Students' Final Year Project Learning”, 11th Annual Learning, Teaching & Assessment (LTA) Conference, Bradford, 11 July 2012.
• R.E. Sheriff and F.L.C. Ong, “Investigation of the Applicability of an E-Portfolio Tool to Support Final Year Engineering Projects”, National HE STEM Event, Bradford, 8 February 2012.
• R.E. Sheriff and F.L.C. Ong, “An Investigation Into the Use of E-Portfolio Tools to Enhance the Final Year Engineering Project Experience”, 10th Annual Learning, Teaching & Assessment (LTA) Conference, Bradford, 14 June 2011.
• F.L.C. Ong, “Transforming the learners' environment: blending interactive learning and multimedia”, 9th Annual Learning, Teaching & Assessment (LTA) Conference, Bradford, 7-8 June 2010.
• F.L.C. Ong, X. Liang, P.M.L. Chan, R.E. Sheriff, “Mobile Internet Access on High-Speed Trains”, Poster Presentation at Science, Engineering and Technology (SET) for Britain, House of Commons, London, 15 March 2004.
• R.E. Sheriff and F.L.C. Ong, “Evaluation of PebblePAD as an enhancer of the final year engineering project experience”, Contributed news article to HE STEM news, Spring/Summer 2012; pp. 16.
• R.E. Sheriff and F.L.C. Ong, “Investigation of the applicability of an e-portfolio tool to support final year engineering project”, Contributed Chapter to Enhancing Engineering Higher Education: Outputs of the National HE STEM Programme, Publisher: Royal Academy of Engineering, July 2012; pp. 100-102.
• F.L.C. Ong, X. Liang, V.W. Chook, P.M.L. Chan, Y.F. Hu, R.E. Sheriff, “Satellite Research and Development Issues for Fourth-Generation and Ad Hoc Networks”, Contributed to ASMS-TF Report – Thematic Priority: 4G and Ad Hoc Networks, September 2004.
• Contribution to technical reports for various research projects – EU funded SatNEx and IST-FIFTH